Cats are Wonderful Friends
Gentle eyes that see so much,
paws that have the quiet touch,
Purrs to signal “all is well”
and show more love than words could tell.
Graceful movements touched with pride,
a calming presence by our side
A friendship that takes time to grow
Small wonder why we love them so.
Missing you, gouache on paper, 8 x 11 inches
When you lose your cat ~ What can you do to feel better?
There is no magic pill that can remove the pain completely. With time the feelings will become less intense. However there are activities that may help you to focus on the happy memories you shared. Some people find the following useful:
* Writing poetry or a letter for your cat to express your feelings for him or her.
* Arrange photos in a special album.
* A memorial page on the web (if you don’t have a web page of your own, there are specific sites that welcome photos and poetry to memorialise your cat).
* Joining a email group – there are several that provide support from people who have also lost their cats.
* Have your own ritual. Invite like-minded and supportive people to share in memories of your cat.
* Plant a rose or tree for your cat.
* Sponsor an animal in the zoo in memory of your cat.
* Read a self-help book. There are many available on grieving.
* If your grief is overwhelming and causes major disruption to your daily life over a long time, consider seeking help. There are counsellors and psychotherapists who are sensitive to the needs of people who are grieving for their pets. However ensure that they have the same qualifications you would expect for grief counselling for humans (eg psychologist, social worker, counsellor of professional association).
Excerpted from Cats of Australia
Kathy Crabbe is a Creative Soul Guide, artist, author and educator who has devoted her life to exploring spirituality and creativity with passion and integrity. Kathy empowers soul-seekers to live the life of their dreams through online resources, inspirational art, Divine Feminine eClasses, eBooks, and Creative Soul Readings infused with a rich background in the arts.